Monday, August 27, 2007

Three-year-olds Rock

I love the Little Man at three. He has his annoying habits, but he's really become damn funny.

Like the other day when we were going to the mall to get photos taken. By the time his hair was combed and he had on decent clothes (and his sister's hair was combed and she had on decent clothes) he decided he no longer wanted to go. I threw him in the car along with his sister and he did his screaming and carrying on bit until I offered a "treat" if he would be a good boy while getting his pictures taken. As he is a sucker for a bribe (even a vague one), he immediately switched gears and agreed, still snuffling from his fit. And we had this conversation:

"So, you're going to be a good boy the whole time at the studio?"
"Yep."
"And that means no screaming."
"Nope."
"And no running around."
"Nope."
"And no back talking"
"Nope."
"And you will mind everything your mommy says, right."
"Yep. That's the problem."

Or last weekend, when we were packing to go see the grandparents. The Little Man has recently started to pack himself for trips. The packing is a little suspect; his last overnight trip the bag included:
5 shirts
1 pair of shorts
1 dirty sock
1 roll of tape
2 tinkertoys
3 matchbox cars
1 Spiderman DVD (which he has never seen, and we do not allow him to watch)

Still, we applaud the initiative and encourage him in his packing efforts.

He came up last weekend and informed me that he was packed and ready to leave. I had not yet inspected the bag, but I knew he didn't have any underwear in there as we were waiting on the underwear load to dry. I told him that he wasn't ready yet because he didn't have any underwear in his bag, and that we'd have to wait on the drier to pack them.

Two minutes later he comes wheeling his bag down the hall
"Mommy, I'm ready. Get your shoes on."
"No, you're not, you haven't packed your underwear yet"
"I just already did!"

And I looked at him, and noticed his little bare bottom peeking from below his shirt, which minutes before had been clad in underwear and shorts. Those same underwear that were now trailing out the zipper of his bag.

You see why I love three? I hope four is even better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to that age! My daughter is about to turn two, and is still deep in her boundary testing phase. Tough, tough times. But then sometimes she'll do something to devastatingly cute and sweet that I think I just might explode.