Saturday, June 07, 2008

The Little Miss Looms Large

It's been a kind of weird week. The Little Miss's daycare was closed this week, so we packed her up and shipped her off to spend the week at Grandma's on Sunday. We didn't get her back until Friday, and I discovered that's a really long time to go without your Little Miss.

Don't get me wrong. It was nice to have some extra time with the Little Man and to just parent one child - who can wipe his own ass! - for a change. I got to sleep straight through four nights in a row . . .bliss! And while I was sleeping I didn't have two little feet trying their best to to kick me out of bed. I had 40 extra minutes every evening by not having to put her to bed, and mornings were quicker as well not having to get her ready and constantly talk her out of being picked up.

But.
I didn't have her to cuddle. I couldn't sniff the baby smell that lingers in her hair. She wasn't there to say "hi mama!" 26 times and wave when I got home at night. I didn't get to see her cuddle her babies and then drag them down the hall by the foot, head bouncing along on the floor. I didn't get to argue with her about her outfit in the morning (ok, I secretly like that she's so strong willed, even though it's a pain.) I missed out on her fabulous bed-head in the morning (she really does get some spectacular hair going in the morning for it being thin and stick-straight). I didn't get to hear her growl, or belly-laugh. I didn't get to watch her play with cars and say "vroom vroom!" I missed her.

I don't think I was the only one. Though the Little Man staunchly denied it, I caught him more than once hiding something up high so she couldn't get it, and looking through the house for her. His dad took the same tone - mouthing that he didn't notice she wasn't around, but I caught some forlorn looks in the direction of her bedroom.

Her personality has been blossoming since she turned one, and she's been becoming more and more herself every day. Turns out, she's also become a very big part of our household. You always think these things, but it's kind of nice to have it confirmed.
It's also nice to have her back.

And now, drum roll please . . .

drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Today, 19 months to the day after she was born, she finally smiled at a camera. And yes, she's covered in chocolate cake batter.


And not wearing any pants.


No comments: