Saturday, February 28, 2009

On the Eve of Five

My Little Man turns 5 tomorrow. He is so excited - it's quite the thing to witness him being so stoked about his birthday. New Toys! Cake! A Party! With Friends! And Cousins! And he'll finally be 5, like ALL the other kids in the Red Room (his room at school). It makes him wiggle like a puppy in excitement - it's a wonder he hasn't piddled on the floor. In fact, when we got home this evening he wanted to shower and crawl into bed immediately so his birthday would come even FASTER. 

And me? Well, I'm astonished, but I'm having some mixed emotions. My eldest baby has no baby left in him. He continues to be tall - he comes up to about mid-sternum on me now. He weighs in at a flat 50 pounds, and some of his size 6 jeans have hit the highwater stage. And he has SUCH an imagination. The child loves to build, and tell jokes, and play tricks, and read books, and sing. And (note that this is IN WRITING) he really likes to play with his sister. And he's doing well in school -  knows how to read, write and sound out most letters, and he's been working hard to say his "L" sounds properly. Which will come in handy when he starts KINDERGARTEN this fall (Lord help me). This all adds up to him being a big boy now. Eeeek.

He did bestow a bit of consolation this morning. He crawled into bed with us when he woke up this morning and said "Mommy, one more sleep and I'll be FIVE!" I told him that was right, and he was getting to be a big boy. He said "Don't worry, mom, I'll still be your baby when I get to be 5. I Love you." 

Little Man, I love you too. Happy Birthday.


2 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Yeah! Happy birthday little guy, er, I mean BIG guy. With you being *5* and all. Heh. :-)

Me said...

And he says Thanks.