Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Spousal Support

I gotta give it to Mr. Me. He's been awesome through all of our recent trials - very supportive, and volunteering to take over a lot more of the housework and Little Man care than before. He does daycare pickup in the evening, and has dinner on the table almost every night when I get home from work. He also does bedtime duty way more than his allotted 50%. He coddles me appropriately and deals with all my moans and groans and flatulence and irritability like a champ.

Tonight, though, he was off his game. He was irritable, both with me and the Little Man. He called before I left the office to request I pick up some KFC so he didn't have to cook. He didn't get very far with the house cleaning project we had lined up for the evening. He whined for hours about the temperature in the house - which we do keep a little on the cool side due to my unstoppable heat flashes, but still.

This pattern continued into the evening, with him falling asleep on the floor and snoring loudly, but refusing to go to bed and getting angry with the Little Man for his occasional loud outburst. The pinnacle of the evening was when he opened the fridge to get a drink and a container of spinach fell to the floor and splattered all over. He ranted and raved for probably five minutes and stormed off to the bedroom.

And though he was acting like our two-year-old, I got it. He had had a bad night. He had had it with being the steady and supportive one. He needed a little love back. So, I cleaned up the mess, and I put the Little Man to bed. And I listened - without laughing - to him bitch and moan about the fact that Spinach! Got on his socks! Which was the only thing keeping him warm! The horror!

And afterwards he was in a much better mood. Which just goes to show that a little love and a big spinach cleanup can work wonders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most of my work as a translator is very interesting. Just occasionally I run into something deadly dull - like spinach processing.
Is spinach mown or just cut?
Trawling the web to find out, a fortuitous typing mistake led me to your husband's 'spinach moan'.
It certainly brightened up a dreary evening.
Thanks! Keep up the good work!