Wednesday, April 04, 2007

A Foolish Day

Ahh, another April Fool's Day has past, and again, I'm older. I used to hate my birthdate, but now I think it's cool. It's on a fun minor holiday, so it doesn't interfere with any other celebration, yet it's easy for people to remember. And, I don't end up getting punked as much as you might think, even being a Fool and all.

This year, the birthday was particularly lovely. Wonderful Mr. Me took pity on me and the cold I've ended up with - and also expanded my 'queen for a day' into the whole weekend -and took the kiddies out to my folks' house Saturday evening. So I got to eat Old Shawnee Pizza with canadian bacon and sauerkraut and salad (mmmmmmmmmmmm) to my heart's content and watch chick movies before I crashed into my nice, clean, snore-free bed. AND I did not have to waken until the first birthday call at 8:30. Bliss!

I got up, threw on some clothes, and headed out to eat breakfast with the family. It was a lovely drive. I tell you, a Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce Latte, awesome tunes belting from the iPod, and perfect spring weather are the recipe for a great trip. Couple that with special birthday luck - literally, no red lights, no traffic the entire drive - and flowers and trees just blooming, hell, even baby calves cavorting in the pasture, and you have an hour of pure perfection, right there.

As I pulled up to the house the Little Man came shooting out the door. "Hey, Mom, it's your Birthday!" He drug me into the house, showed me my presents, and promptly opened them for me - a shake mixer and pack of Silpats. Yeah! He's such a good helper, especially where presents are concerned.

The Little Miss greeted me with a big ol' smile on her chubby face too, and was very cuddly. I swear the little chicken fuzz on her head grew just overnight! I had just enough time to feed her before my dad's famous biscuits & gravy appeared on the table.

After breakfast the Little Man and I went outside to play. He insisted that we go down to Grandma's pond and see Nemo, the giant koi that keeps not being dead, even though it lays on its side most of the time and lists mightily to the right when it does attemt to swim. We also discovered a huge bullfrog that we christened Finnigan that the Little Man thought was too cool. Finnigan was promptly added to the pond visitation list for the rest of the day.

The entire day enfolded along the same vein - relaxed, nice family, great food, beautiful weather, and lots of kid participation. The Little Man ended up riding home with me, and he sang me songs all the way home.

I can't wait to be 29 again next year!

3 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Happy belated birthday! I meant to email you on Sunday, but have been mired in a bit of a funk.

We need to get together!

Anonymous said...

Happy REALLY belated birthday, Me! You're the best!--LuAnn

Anonymous said...

I suck the most, because I saw it was your birthday in my PDA, made a mental note to call you, and was promptly sucked into a tornado and deposit in a field of poppies.

I am so sorry I didn't call! I hope you had a great day, sweetie!