Tuesday, January 10, 2006

What are you teaching that kid?

The Little Man has been jabbering up a storm for several months now. He's actually the most vocally adept member of his little daycare (I'm not thinking that means anything necessarily, but it sounds cool). His skill level varies day to day - the words go in and out, sometimes he'll add 2 or 3 words in a day and actually use words for many of the things he wants. The next day, he promptly forget them all and goes back to his standard of using "ba" for all nouns but Mommy and Daddy.

In a vain attempt to coax my child into talking before he's good and ready, I tried a little home schooling the other night. The Little Man pointed to a cat in the book we were reading and said "Ba! Ba!" Now I KNOW he can say 'cat' because he is obsessed with our cats and he has been saying it for months. So I said "No, 'cat', 'ca-ca-cat'". And he laughed and repeated "Ca-ca-cat!" And then turned the page and said "du-du-duck."

And now he stutters about 70% of the time. Damn. With me providing the parental education, I'll have to slip the teacher a $50 to get the poor kid into kindergarten.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I noted, the little angel adds syllables to her words, too, mostly eh, eh, Elmo. I think they'll grow out of it!

Me said...

I hope you're right Dorothy. I'd fogotten that the little angel did that too. It's good to have compay anyway.

Goofy Girl said...

Goofy Junior stuttered for about two months. I think there was so much vocality (a word?!) waiting to come out, that his mouth couldn't handle it. One day he just quit. It's actually a normal thing, I found out later.