Monday, January 23, 2006

Hummer

The Little Man is doing a fabulous job trying to learn new words. He's been repeating about everything we say, with varied success with pronunciation. (And no, this is not where I talk about the huge cursing rant I just had. Even though I just did. But he gets bored with those words.)

Friday we were playing on the floor and all of a sudden he says "Hum-mer. Hum-mer." Completely out of the blue. He was playing with a truck at the time, so it wasn't a stretch to go the "vehicle" route with the meaning. Instead my mind went the "have you been watching pron at daycare again?" route**. Sadly enough, that's the first place his dad's mind went when I told him about our Word of the Day after work. Great minds and all.

Luckily, I wasn't left in the dark long (nor forced to set the parental controls on Tivo). Saturday I was fixing lunch and he looked up at me and said "Hummer! Hummer!" A bulb finally flipped on and I asked if he was hungry and he said "Mmmmm, hmmmmm. Hummer!" And I laughed that shaky, relieved laugh. I can see his new word having a long life in our family.

Hummer, anyone?


**Those of you who don't "get" this post, God bless you. I'm happy there are still folks like you around.

1 comment:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

Too funny! I wouldn't have thought twice of it, but that is because I have owned a Hummer toy for quite awhile, thanks to the nephews.