Friday, May 16, 2008

Wa-hooie!

There has been a lot of good things going on the last week. A refreshing change from the Charlie Brown sentiments that too often make up the posts here, eh?

For starters - our house plans are done. In case you didn't catch that: OUR HOUSE PLANS ARE DONE! The dance I did as I leaped from my chair when Yahoo revealed the final sketches was likely not attractive, but it was done with gusto! I can completely walk through the thing in my head - I've dreamt about it a couple of times. It will fit our family just perfectly, and it's exactly what I was looking for.

Huzzah! Now on to finding a builder.

Then, yesterday I found out my friend Rita's book is available for pre-sale! She has worked her ass off for over TWO YEARS on this book, and it's been amazing to hear in snippets what all she's gone through to make this childhood dream of hers come true. (You could read about her journey to publishing here.) The book - Sleep is for the Weak - is a compilation of blog posts from a rock star roster of mommybloggers, and I can't wait to read it. It's amazing to see someone work and sweat and strain and finally achieve a childhood dream. Rita, you are now officially one of my honest-to-God heroes.

Buy it.


And finally, just this afternoon, I helped the Little Man to catch his very first fish! We were at a local community farmstead which has fishing available for the kids. "Fishing" consists of a tin bucket of 4 fat worms and the rental of a bamboo stick with a line and a hook that you can dip in their pond filled with Sunfish for the bargain price of $3. It's very sophisticated.

Of course, my son thinks it's awesome. He threw over his first horse ride on a horse named for his sister for the bucket of damn dirty worms. I will give him credit for gusto - he reaches right in there for the worms without a grumble, just a few comments on any extra-ordinary squirming as he's trying to hand them to me so I can skewer them on the hook. *shudder* The fourth worm won us our prize from the pond, though much to my relief it managed to wiggle itself off the hook and back into the pond right after I shot the photos. I try not to be too girly of a mom, but I'd just as soon not touch worms, fish, snakes and most bugs if I can get away with it.

My proud fisherman (the fish, it's a bigun)


It's so nice that there's so much going right to think about when other areas of my life are not going quite the way I'd prefer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are so sweet.