Tuesday, August 02, 2005

BlogHer?

A couple of friends, Average Jane and Cagey, went to the BlogHer convention in San Jose over the weekend. As the name implies, it was a convention specifically for female bloggers. Not being big into the blog scene, it sounded interesting when they first mentioned it, but didn't spark an overwhelming desire to go. Now that they've come back, having met some of my favorite online funny ladies, like Dooce and Finslippy, I must say I'm quite jealous. It sounds like it was a way fun trip, and fairly inexpensive to boot!

The schwag was cool (in a tech-geeky sort of way which, of course, I'm all into) and the seminars sounded very interesting. I do take small issue with any amount of feminazism that was behind starting it (I read some things about "empowering" women bloggers - please, sistah, we have and can get all the "power" we could ever want). Also that apparently "mommybloggers" - of which I guess I am because I 'gasp' write about my kid - are a) labeled and b) the Rodney Dangerfields of bloggers. Figures - have a kid, love him, like to talk about your life with him, and you're a pariah. The parental glass ceiling strikes again - no longer does it just dwell in the workplace!

Well, I've never accepted being limited by anything except my own energy levels (which are bad enough by themselves), so I think I'll not start now. I declare that It's Only Me is a Blog, unlabeled and here solely for my enjoyment (and yours if you like).

I may have to look into attendance at next year's festivities. Who knows what this blog thing will have morphed into by next year?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the issues that came up about the phrase MommyBloggers is the distain for that term! Basically, the general consensus was that rather than fight that term that seems to never die, we should embrace it. Make the Mommy Bloggers THE blogs to read. :-) (That or smack anyone who uses it. lol)

I enjoy your blog. I do hope you are able to come to BlogHer '06.