Friday, September 30, 2005

I See Stain People

I can't remember a time when I didn't see people in the stain on doors. It's kind of like seeing shapes in clouds, only with wood grain its easier because it doesn't change shape and there are some doors that you end up staring at a lot (bathrooms . . .)

When I was growing up our bathroom door had what looked like a man in a hooded cloak imbedded in it. Over the years he was a monk, a wizard, the grim reaper - whatever I happened to be into at the time. My bedroom door housed a couple of gorillas.

I find it oddly comforting to be able to see images in the wood grain. That's one reason why I prefer houses with stained wood. It gives a place personality.

I still see weird things in doors- in the bathroom door at work there is a cartoon goat in the corner of the door, and right smack dab in the middle is what appears to be a woman in labor (or as Mr. Me would say, "waiting for a bus"). I have to admit, it's a bit unsettling to have to stare at that every time you sit down for a tinkle.

Next time you see a stained door, stare at it for a minute. What do you see?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, found you through Surrender, Dorothy. :-)

I grew up in a house that had wood stained doors, too. We had the same hooded dude on the bathroom door. There was also a procession of nuns or something, a person holding a candle, and a scary looking guy with a knife on other doors in the house. My brother and I would go around the house and look at the different doors and try to figure out what they were.

Thanks for helping me to remember this -- hadn't thought about those doors in years!