Friday, February 03, 2006

Fantasy vs. Reality

I've been re-reading the Setephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich the past week. I love it. It is book candy - not much substance, but addictive and as fun as fiction gets. I found the series when we went on a trip to Florida. I was so hooked that I actually ended up buying every book in the series at airport bookshops and what Barnes & Nobles we could locate with our tourist navigational skills. I ended up hauling seven books home in my carry-on. Now THAT'S addiction.

When I read a series like this, sometimes I find myself slightly sucked into the "world" of the books in every-day life. I've noticed that every now and again I unconsciously try to make my internal dialogue funnier, like the main character's. Probably I'll end up starting a sentence with "probably," like the author does constantly. (d'oh!) Re-reading this post, my sentences are even a little choppier than normal, again, a la Evanovich. Yikes!

Does this ever happen to you, oh readers? Have you ever gotten sucked in by fiction?

3 comments:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

I find that when I have read something serious like Austen, my thoughts tend to become more "lofty" in nature. :-)

dawn said...

i happened to come across Eleven on Top and actually laughed out loud about the mole. I then started the series at one and have read all her books. The new one comes out this summer. Would love to discuss with you

Goofy Girl said...

I love all things Evanovich! I think I happened across "Four" and then went backwards, then forwards. "Metro Girl" is pretty darn funny too.