Wednesday, October 11, 2006

And, There's More

Went to the Doc again today and he had more fun news. One of the "just in case" tests that I've been volunteering as a human pincushion to take came back positive. This is a test that is uncommon enough that the lab technicians couldn't even pronounce it. It's negative NINETY PERCENT 0f the time - the Doc actually had the lab repeat it, then had me go in for a second test to confirm. The result basically means that the baby's blood has seeped into my bloodstream, indicating some level of hemorrhage (fetomaternal transfusion causing fetal anemia, to those playing the "learn a new medical term" home game). So, on top of everything else, the baby may be anemic and may require a blood transfusion IN UTERO.

ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

So, more worry and angst, and more TESTS. I have FIVE doctor's appointments and tests scheduled in the next couple of weeks. That's after the two tests and appointment I had today. I'm grateful for my awesome doctor and the level of care I'm getting, but yowza, I wish I didn't need all these tests! I've been stuck with a needle 6 times today. Enough already!

He also measured my belly today and I'm measuring the size of someone at 36 weeks, even though I'm only at 30. No wonder I feel as big as a barn - I AM!

This little girl is either going to be a perfect angel after she's born, or God's just preparing us for many more years of worrying about our little hell raiser. Damn.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG. You poor, poor thing. This little angel is going to be a perfect sweetheart.

Scribbit said...

I'm glad to hear you have a good medical team, that makes so much difference. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the nurses at Providence Medical. I'm amazed at how you seem to be holding up under the pressure.

Me said...

Dorothy - you, of all people, know about Little Angels so I'll take your word for it.

Scribbit - I'm not sure that I'm holding up, or just in shock and unable to absorb any more. I do love my Doc, though, and feel like I am in the best hands possible.

Thanks for the well-wishes and positive thoughts, gals.