Friday, January 14, 2005

Under the Knife

The Little Man goes in for surgery in just about 7 hours. It's a minor thing, but they still put him in a little hospital gown and knock his little ass out with Nitrus. Thus, we still have to withhold food from him for hours in advance, which I'm not looking forward to in about (eek!) 5 hours when he wakes up for his early-early morning bottle.

I'm nervous about this procedure, as you would be. Mr. Me maintains that they'd better be passing the Nitrus around to keep him settled. I'm not thinking I'll require chemical sedation necessarily, but I can't think about it too hard or I start to feel ooky. My father-in-law has been nice enough to volunteer to come in and set with us in the waiting room. So, it will be a well-attended little event in any case.

The Little Man should sleep or be drowsy for most of the day after the surgery. Can I say that I'm kind of looking forward to that part just a little? I know, this makes me a horrid parent, but as he's always so, so, SO busy, it'll be nice to have him quiet and cuddly for a day. And, he'll get eye drops we have to give him for 5 days that the Dr says will make him "sleepy". The thought of this just makes me smile. (Bad mommy!)

This will make the third hospital I've been in in the last 2 weeks, all as a visitor, thank goodness. I'm becoming quite adept in waiting rooms. I don't like that my life has included so much illness and trauma lately. But again, I much prefer being the carer than the care-ee.

Updates to come . . .

No comments: