Thursday, July 28, 2005

Namely Confused

Family lore has it that when he was four, someone asked my cousin what his name was and his reply was "Danny Dammit." Knowing my cousin, and his father's likely response to his very busy personality, this isn't such a big surprise. It does make me wonder, however, what the Little Man's response will be to the same question once he gets a little older. Not with the "Dammit" so much, but we (and the rest of his family) have so many little pet names for the guy that I wonder how many times he hears his actual name in a given day.

He earned his first nickname of Little Bird in the hospital because of his "Hey, I'm ready to eat" look. That expanded to (Given Name)-Bird. And Baby Bird, and Big Bird (because naturally, he's getting bigger). Then there's Bub (why? don't ask me, ask his dad). And Bubba-Boo, Bub-bub, Bubs and Bubby. Then the actual perversions of his given name, like adding "y" and "man" to it, or going with the shortened version. Not to mention pairing his given name with "Charles" "Bart" and "David", none of which appear on his birth certificate. And of course Baby Boy and Big Boy. Recently, with his assertion of independent will, "Kid" has made an appearance more often as well.

Only 17 months, and so many names. If we can come up with all these, and we're just his lame family, I can't wait to see what his buddies print on the back of his shirt in high school.

1 comment:

Cagey (Kelli Oliver George) said...

FUNNY. I had a cousin named "Micah Dammit". Granted, he doesn't think the moniker is so funny, but WE do.